September 17, 2010

Art makes life and life makes art or something like that...

I went to a movie last night at TIFF. When it was over, I said my goodbyes to my friends after discussing it a bit and wandered home in that post-great-movie-haze. I had forgotten that feeling. It's been awhile since I went to the theatre to see a movie, well other than Despicable Me, which although I thoroughly enjoyed, it did not profoundly affect me and put me in my post-great-movie-haze. It was also light out and summer and last night it was dark and coolish -- that somehow made the feeling more poetic, more powerful. The haze really isn't only related to film though. I remember being in a similar haze after leaving a concert, walking home, finding everything much more beautiful than it was before. A building you have walked by 100 times and barely noticed is now one of the most beautiful things you have ever seen. It's a little like being high -- my senses heightened, feeling so much more alive! I don't know if everyone feels this way? The feeling that makes you want to laugh and cry and kiss and touch and love and talk and dance and eat and drink and just live, but not the living that involves working at some job you hate. Not the living that involves you worrying about money, or fighting with your partner, or not loving your partner, or more horrific circumstances of abuse or violence. Maybe this kind of living is only possible in the movies? ...I'll keep you posted.

2 comments: