September 7, 2010

Airport things and stuff

My BFF flew in last night from Scotland and I went to meet him at the airport. He was just here overnight as he had a connecting flight to Charlotte, NC, the next morning, where he will be an Artist In Residence for the next 3 months. I was as excited as an abandoned Military wife waiting for him to walk through those doors!

He arrived and we checked into the hotel and walked out to get something to eat. The first place we saw was Alice's Restaurant and Bar -- perfect! We were hungry! We had 3 Heineken's and a hamburger with fries each. The bill was 41 dollars. It was the best hamburger I've ever had in my life. We told the bartender this and I guess she went and told the cook cause he came over and said so. He asked us what we do and when Anthony told him he was an artist, the cook, named Bill, told us he was an aspiring artist with a love of photographing architecture. He was so wonderful. But we couldn't help but wonder, what if he had followed his dream of being a photographer? But we also knew that having a family to support and a family business to run can be great at stopping those dreams in their tracks. Meeting him just reaffirmed my love of people and how there is beauty in the least likely of places, so be aware! Earlier on the shuttle to the airport hotel, this surly, young couple sitting in front of us made me feel this way too, but on the opposite spectrum. You could just tell they were in a loveless marriage, and hated their lives and could barely stand each other. They were miserable...and it showed.

I ended up taking the airporter home this morning, cause, well, I just couldn't deal with a crowded subway and I had the return portion of a ticket left over from when Air Canada couldn't get our bags out of the plane and the delay caused me to miss the last airporter and force me to take a $50 cab...but, I digress. I put on my ipod as soon as a woman got chatty on her cell and when Metric's Eclipse (all yours) came on, it got me thinking of how many times I have taken that airporter nursing a broken heart -- 6...and counting. And, well...how wonderful life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment