October 20, 2010

Moving is moving

I am moving soon. I have started packing -- and organizing to pack -- you know, throwing things out you don't need, maybe donating clothes or giving your friends stuff. I am going through everything, making sure I actually need it, downsizing to fit into my soon to be smaller apartment. I came across all these old letters and cards that I sat down and started reading. Birthday cards, letters from old lovers, old friends. The thing that struck me most was how powerful a handwritten letter is. These days, no one sends hand written letters, but there is so much to them. From the handwriting, to crossed out words, to pen changes as the ink drains out from thoughts and feelings that urgently must be shared. I thought about all the letters and cards I have given and wonder if those recipients feel the same way about me when they pack up to begin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment