December 2, 2010

Now why did you have to go and do that?

I just went to the library to return some books. I browsed through their selection of DVD's before I left. I started looking through the racks and pulled one out (Les Amours Imaginaires) ooh, score! I've been wanting to see this! A man beside me asked 'what's that' gesturing towards the DVD. I told him the title and a bit of what it was about, and how it was at Cannes, etc, etc. This started a banter between us. He mentioned that he likes to put on a DVD and then read a book in the other room, so it was like he had 'company'. AW, my heart broke! I recommended some films to him as I spotted them 'This one is good' pointing to Happy Go-Lucky and 'I heard this one is good' pointing the The Band's Visit. He said he can't see anything to do with Israel, in his words 'too fresh for me'. I thought, oh, he has some history with Israel, but really this was my first clue. He picked up another one and read the back and then put it back in the rack and said 'I'm not homophobic or anything, but I really can't handle gay movies'. And...that was the end of our banter.

No comments:

Post a Comment