December 8, 2010

My French is not that bad

Last night I snuggled up at home. Cracked open a bottle of red and settled in to watch a few movies. The first one was Paris Je T'aime, which was vignettes of Paris. Most good, one terrible, a couple just ok. Then I watched Les Amours Imaginaires, which I thought mostly wonderful, but this post is not about reviewing movies, it's about the subtitles. The subtitles in the first film had me thinking (and sometimes shouting to the screen, 'TMI!'). You see, English words appeared on the screen when a sound was made that I guess the 'subtitlers' thought drove the story. For example, a car horn would beep and on the screen would appear [car horn beeps] and then a character would shout in French what was subtitled in English as [ok, ok, sorry!] Now, I think we are intelligent enough to figure that out on our own? No? I'm pretty sure a car horn sounds the same in France as it does in England. There was a another scene where music was playing and on screen it said: [classical music playing] and then a character asked in French, subtitled in English 'what composer is this'. Again, this seems like another no-brainer. This is not closed-captioning. I mean really, people this stupid would never even watch subtitled films.

No comments:

Post a Comment