August 30, 2010

Death becomes us

In every television awards show when they do the 'in memoriam' part, I always, without fail, cry. I watched the Emmy awards last night and this time I said to my self 'I'm not going to cry,  I'm not going to cry' but 10 seconds in, I was a blubbering mess. I don't get it. I don't know these people personally. Yes, some of them I grew up watching and possibly they acted a part that profoundly affected me. But I think the real reason of why I tear up is that it makes me think of my own mortality. How short life is. I mean if these people -- immortalized in pixels and celluloid -- can ultimately go, then what of us normal folk? We don't get reruns, this our one shot, so we'd better make it good! When we are gone, we're gone...ba dum ching!

No comments:

Post a Comment