July 20, 2011

You got to know when to hold em....

I broke-up with someone yesterday. I did it quickly, a few paragraphs via email and sent it off. It had been plaguing me for awhile. We had grown apart, we didn't 'get' each other anymore, it was time to move on. Oh, I didn't mention that this was a friend break-up. Now I have had many, many, MANY friend break ups before, but usually I'm the one being broken up with. It has hurt, i would say some have hurt more than romantic break ups. Often it's mutual, in time we just drift apart, phone calls become less frequent, hang outs go from once a week to once a month to just commenting on each others Facebook status to nothing. Sometimes it's really dramatic and painful when suddenly all the stuff you've done wrong through the years is thrown in your face and there are tears and voices are raised. Sometimes you are betrayed by someone you thought was a friend and the hurt stays with you forever. But usually we don't actually 'break up' with friends, I mean, we don't say anything. We just avoid that person, turn down their invitations, find ourselves always 'busy' until it just naturally fades away. This is the first time I've actually broken up with a friend, I mean, actually said something to the effect of 'this friendship is not working for me'. Maybe it's because I'm experienced, been there done that, or just too old to waste time on people that don't fit with me. It reminded me of something an old friend of mine once told me. He had read this article about a famous actress who had fired her agent for being slow to get her a part. He said, “Can you believe it? The woman makes her famous and rich, and this is how she repays her!” I thought about it and replied, “I don't know, I understand where she’s coming from. I mean, if a relationship isn’t satisfying, why pretend to be happy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment