April 29, 2011

My good deed went punished

I just got home from work. On the way into the subway, there was this man in front of me trying to get a suitcase through the turnstile. I offered to help him lift it and grabbed the bottom to work it over the metal bars. As it went over, my finger got caught in the wheels and took a chunk of skin with it. I cried out as it dropped to the floor. I'm ok, I'm ok. There was blood, I sucked on it and continued to the platform but couldn't control the bleeding, so I went back up to the attendant. She tenderly cleaned it and put a bandage on and sent me on my way. I rode all the way home, finger throbbing, blood seeping through the bandage. When I got home, I went to my bathroom to clean it properly, and I noticed a big streak of blood on my cheek, I must have brushed it with my hand at some point. I wondered what people riding with me must have thought. Maybe they are telling the story of the girl with blood on her face as I tell you my story of how it got there.

2 comments: