March 24, 2011

Would you give Judi Dench your seat?

I always give up my seat on the bus to an older person. Hey, I'm just a gentlewoman that way. [blushes] But today, I looked up and saw a wrinkly face and said, 'oh would you like my seat?' and the woman turned to me and said 'oh, no thank you, I am about to get off'. I took a closer look at her, she was very elegant. She had a beautiful full length coat on with a sparky brooch, her make-up was perfectly done, she looked, well, lovely. So, then I started to feel bad, like the way I feel when the cute 20 year-old Starbucks employees call me Ma'am. I felt for this woman. She was older than me sure, and she was holding on to that pole with familiarity. This woman had lived! But she still had a lot more living to do! You go girl, you get off at the next stop and go wherever you are going and next time I see you, I'll just look away and let you age like the graceful woman you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment